Reeder & Brown, P.C.


Does Child Support End When the Child Turns 18?

 Posted on May 16, 2023 in Divorce

Plainfield Child Support LawyerChild support typically ends when the child becomes an adult. However, there are many different situations in which child support payments are extended past a child’s 18th birthday. For example, a parent may be asked to continue providing support during a child's college education. Child support may also be extended because a child is disabled.

Child Support When a Child Turns 18 Before Graduating High School

The most common reason that child support is extended beyond a child's 18th birthday is that the child has not graduated high school yet. The law recognizes that high schoolers still need support and that many high schoolers turn 18 before graduating. Child support continues until the child graduates from high school or turns 19 years old, whichever happens first.

Financial Support for Disabled Children

Once a child is an adult, he or she is expected to be financially self-sufficient. However, children with significant disabilities may not be able to reach this level of financial independence, even once they are an adult. Consequently, child support may be extended beyond a child's 18th or 19th birthday if the child is disabled. Qualifying disabilities may be physical disabilities, intellectual disabilities, or serious mental health problems.

Parents May Be Required to Help Pay for College Expenses

Illinois has a particularly unique law regarding financial support for college students. Divorced and never-married parents in Illinois are sometimes court-ordered to financially support their college-aged children. The parents may be required to pay for college tuition, books and fees, housing, and other expenses.

The amount each parent has to pay is typically based on their financial resources, employability, and other factors. The court may also ask the child to contribute to his or her own college education through scholarships, work-study programs, or other resources.

Contact our Child Support Lawyer for Help

Confusion and conflicts frequently arise regarding child support for an adult child. Many parents are unsure of their obligation or disagree about the amount of money they are being required to provide. Conflicts can also arise when the recipient of a child support order is not receiving the support he or she needs.

Our Joliet child support attorneys provide legal representation for payers and recipients of child support. We can help you understand your options and take the steps necessary to pursue a favorable outcome in your case. Call Reeder & Brown, P.C. at 815-885-5980 for a confidential consultation.



Share this post:
Back to Top