Reeder & Brown, P.C.


Plainfield Child Support LawyerChild support typically ends when the child becomes an adult. However, there are many different situations in which child support payments are extended past a child’s 18th birthday. For example, a parent may be asked to continue providing support during a child's college education. Child support may also be extended because a child is disabled.

Child Support When a Child Turns 18 Before Graduating High School

The most common reason that child support is extended beyond a child's 18th birthday is that the child has not graduated high school yet. The law recognizes that high schoolers still need support and that many high schoolers turn 18 before graduating. Child support continues until the child graduates from high school or turns 19 years old, whichever happens first.

Financial Support for Disabled Children

Once a child is an adult, he or she is expected to be financially self-sufficient. However, children with significant disabilities may not be able to reach this level of financial independence, even once they are an adult. Consequently, child support may be extended beyond a child's 18th or 19th birthday if the child is disabled. Qualifying disabilities may be physical disabilities, intellectual disabilities, or serious mental health problems.


Will County Divorce LawyerFinances play a crucial role in any divorce case. Because of this, Illinois law requires divorcing spouses to provide detailed information about their income and property during the divorce. The information spouses provide on their financial affidavits will be used to address everything from property division to child support. Whether you are engaged in an uncontested divorce or contested divorce, truthful financial disclosure is required from both parties in order for the divorce outcome to be fair and reasonable.

It is important for divorcing spouses to be aware of warning signs that could indicate that the other spouse is hiding assets, failing to disclose all income, or otherwise lying about finances.

Refusing to Discuss Financial Matters

One red flag that could indicate financial deception during divorce is a refusal to discuss financial matters. If your spouse shuts down or becomes irate upon the mere mention of gathering copies of tax returns or discussing the division of marital assets, this could be a sign that he or she is trying to hide something. Ideally, divorcing spouses would be cooperative and provide the information needed to resolve the divorce without court intervention. However, if a spouse refuses to provide the necessary information, subpoenas or other discovery tools may be needed to gather the information.


Joliet divorce decree modification lawyersThe purpose of divorce is to separate two peoples’ lives that have been intertwined through marriage. When two people get married, they not only combine their personal lives but also their financial lives. In order to divide them again during a divorce, a judge will decide what is a reasonable amount of marital property, spousal support, and/or child support to assign each spouse. These decisions are made based on several factors such as each spouse’s income, their contributions during the marriage, and their respective parental responsibilities. But, what happens if these factors change after the divorce is finalized? In a case like this, a divorced individual may need to seek a divorce decree modification.

Verbal Agreements Are Not Enforceable

Circumstances which would necessitate a divorce modification include substantial changes in income, illnesses, relocation, or remarriage. Generally, courts do not make changes to the original property or debt division, but modifications of spousal support or alimony, child support, and parenting time are more common. Couples who wish to modify the terms of their divorce agreements by way of a verbal agreement should be warned that such verbal agreements are not enforceable by the court. Modifications must be in writing and approved by the court to be effective.  

Motion for Modification

If a former couple agrees to modify terms of the original decree, they should do so in writing and submit it to the court. Sometimes, a hearing is required to ensure that both parties consent to the new terms of the agreement. Once the court is satisfied, the agreement is signed off on by the judge and becomes a legally-binding court order. If one spouse wishes to change the terms of the divorce agreement, but the other does not, a motion for modification must be filed. The two former spouses will need to attend a hearing. The spouse asking for a modification must have evidence to show that the change in circumstances warrants the modification. In matters related to parental responsibilities and parenting time, the person seeking a modification will also need evidence to prove that the change will be in the children’s best interest.


Joliet divorce attorneysSocial media apps like Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and others are a ubiquitous part of everyday life. Status updates, pictures, and opinions are regularly shared, giving the world a cultivated view into people’s lives. However, during the divorce process, social media posts can receive greater scrutiny as your assets and your behavior could be factored into the final divorce settlement. It would be wise to limit or eliminate your social media presence if you are going through a divorce.

Ways Social Media Could Affect a Divorce

A preoccupation with social media can drive many couples apart. Many studies have shown a link between increased social media use and decreased marriage quality. It is even possible social media played a role in the end of your marriage, as has recently been cited in up to 20 percent of cases by divorce lawyers. You should not let a preoccupation with online posts continue into the divorce proceedings.

Here are some that the process could be impacted by social media posts:


Joliet parenting time lawyerWhen parents divorce, children will likely share time between the two parents. To avoid having the important decisions related to your children decided by a judge, you and your spouse are encouraged to work together to negotiate a parenting plan, also known as the allocation of parental responsibilities. In addition to deciding how important decisions regarding the children will be made, the plan will also include a parenting time schedule. This schedule will allocate when each parent has physical care of the children, during which time they have the sole responsibility to make routine daily decisions as well as emergency decisions about the children’s health and safety.

Parenting Time Schedule Tips for Illinois Families

When negotiating the parenting time schedule with your spouse, it can be difficult to put the difficulties of the divorce behind you and cooperate. However, it is helpful to take a step back and remember that the schedule should be set up to help your children succeed in their new living environment.

Here are a few aspects to consider when planning a parenting schedule:

Back to Top